Boiled Kale with Steamfried Sousage - My Grünkohl Approach

Hi there, here is another recipe, but this one is for the rest days. Because it does not contain so much energy giving ingredients and contains lots of fiber, you can always prepare this when you don't need carbs or sugar to boost you up before the workout. So let's get started.


  • Kale 200 - 250 grams
  • 2 Medium size onions.
  • Mustard - As you like, I like seed style ones, the ones that are granular.
  • Sausage - I used a relatively fatty 100 gr. pork sausage.
  • 1 low fat melting cheese. - I used 15% fat melting cheese.
  • 1 tablespoon linseeds. 
  • Thyme
  • Black Pepper

Alright, I steam-fried everything. Since the sausage will be releasing the fat, no sugar, no extra fat needed to be added. Cut the onions in rings. I want to keep them big because I don't want them to melt and disappear in the meal. Sorry, this time I used canned (I mean, it was in the glass container but still...) pre-cooked kale, but normally I would boil them without adding anything. I really like to keep the ingredients simple for some meals, thus, I can enjoy the actual taste of each ingredient. Tomatoes taste like tomatoes, onions taste like onions, not like overwhelmed butter sugar or salt mixture.



So what is steam frying? First, I make a 1-2 mm water layer in the pan, then I add the onions, keep them sizzling all the time. I keep a kettle full of hot water to pour in slowly to keep the water from completely evaporating. So I can get fried-like relatively dark colored and hardish onions. When onions are starting to get ready, (getting darker), add the kale and continue to steam fry. 




While doing this process warm the oven, it has not to be really
 hot, we are just using that to make our kale onions mixture to dry, while we are steam frying the sausage. It has become a habit since my mom used to not use salt in the meals, so I also don't look for it but add the salt in this phase. Also add the black pepper, thyme, and linseeds, and start with the sausage.

Use the same technique to prepare the sausage. I wanted the sausage to be very well cooked, inside out, so I made some middle deep slits with the knife on the sausage to enable boiling water to be able to get insides of the sausage. I also press the sausage frequently while keeping the pan run out of the water. 


In the final step, you can both use a microwave oven or keep the oven you used to keep the first mixture warm and dry. This is pretty straightforward, put the sausage in the middle, cover it with kale-onion mixture, add mustard, put the cheese on top, sprinkle the linseeds, mmm.


Yeah, you guessed, it is going directly to the oven to melt and penetrate insides of the spaces of kale onion layer and the slits we opened with the knife! Just watch the cheese, when it melts it is ready to be in your stomach. Maybe later I will try this by carving an opening in the sausage and sticking cheese inside. As I mentioned this is for days you do not want to take too many calories but still, want to eat something tasty and healthy. You can enrich this in million ways with playing the amounts of the ingredients and/or adding some fancy things, experimenting is what I do all the time. Normally, in Germany it is served with potatoes. In my opinion kidney or black beans would match really well. Anyway, enjoy!











Comments

Popular Posts